Thursday, June 15, 2017

Urban Blight


I am attempting to evoke 'Urban Blight' with this piece. I often look beyond or through an object toward theoretical, historical, or social contexts of the object, artist, or time period.  Others may want you to talk about how the formal or stylistic qualities of the object reflect or affect the time in which they were made. One popular modern artist , Jackson Pollock’s abstract expressionist paintings have been discussed as portraying a stylistic progression from a more realistic/ naturalistic representation to a more abstract representation that emphasizes the flatness of the canvas and the paint over content or narrative.  In contrast to his style, I am 'pouring' paint, but attempting to incorporate my own and my mentor's comments regarding color and content. This all sounds kind of stilted, but I hope that the viewer can appreciate that the abstract artist does not just throw the paint on the media.  We love to look at the world 'through a glass darkly'.

No comments:

Post a Comment